Parselmouth Parlour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bibron's Gecko

Go down

The Bibron's Gecko Empty The Bibron's Gecko

Post  J3TChick Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 pm

The Bibron's Gecko Care

The Bibron's Gecko can be found in Southern Africa, Southern Tanzania, and Angola. In the wild they have been found living in colonies, sometimes as much as twenty members strong, but in captivity they have been known to cannibalize. Unless there is intent to breed, it is best to house these geckos separately.

Bibron's on average reach about 6 inches in length, but have been known to occationally reach 8 to 9 inches long.

A single Bibron can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium, but a 20 gallon aquarium is preferred. During my research for this caresheet, I have read that they can be kept on several types of substrate, the most common being crushed coconut shell or orchid bark. Also listed were peat moss, coconut fiber, and crushed calcium carbonate. These geckos prefer to be kept at about a 65 % humidity level. Regular misting is necessary for the well-being of this gecko.

Temperatures for the Bibron's Gecko should be 75 to 85 degrees with a basking spot of 90 to 95 degress during the day. Nighttime temperatures should be between 65 to 75 degrees.

With lighting I have read conflicting information. Some care sheets claim that this gecko is diurnal and others say nocturnal. Since the majority of the articles say they are diurnal, it is safe to say that these geckos require some UV lighting. Both UVA and UVB are recommended. 12 to 14 hours of lighting is needed for the health of this gecko.

Like nearly all geckos, the Bibron's is insectivorous, and will eat a variety of insects. These include crickets, mealworms, superworms, and waxworms. Insects should be gutloaded before being fed to the geckos. It also can be beneficial to dust the insects with a calcium or vitamin dust. Fresh water should be provided daily.

J3TChick
J3TChick

Back to top Go down