Cut-up writing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cut-up writing

Post  Heckler Jeckler on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 am

Queen has expressed curiosity about my hobby of writing cut-ups, so I’ve decided to post one. First, a little information: a cut-up is performed by taking a finished and fully linear text and cutting it in pieces with a few or single words on each piece. The resulting pieces are then rearranged into a new text.

The point of this is to create a story that mimics the kind of feeling that you might have in a dream, in which events occur without any established reference points. Without any linear story elements, cut-ups serve as a kind of literary ink blot test, in which each reader must draw their own conclusion about what is happening in the story.

Cut-ups have roots in the Dada and Surrealist movements and have been used by such writers as William S Burroughs and TS Eliot. A visual form of the technique was used in the Oliver Stone film Natural Born Killers.
Heckler Jeckler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cut-up writing

Post  Heckler Jeckler on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:11 am

I can’t be sure but I think this is a complete list of all the works that I cut-up for this piece:

My Education by William S. Burroughs
The Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs
Bath Night by Anthony Horowitz
Pulp by Charles Bukowski

A Game Too Dull For Children

There was a knock at the door—I was more physical before my accident—Only the head was jelly—Pink was the last drop—Old heavy water junk.

My bag is all packed and I just have to put on my coat and walk out—I am in a dark room where I can see my face in a mirror—My face is quite young—A very realistic dream about a hotel—All the doors are open—From my hotel room—I walk out looking for breakfast.

I climb to the top floor of a vast warehouse—Need something to break out a window.

Kerosene lamp—Stale underwear—Naked candy—The outhouse—Evil food—Shivering junk sick—Heroin cooking down for jelly—Got the rag on—Dead birds in the black swamp water—Pale blue sugary eyes—In the attic—With rope—Old cow in the cold water—We moved out hard streaked with coal dust—Sleeping wet.

The bathroom was a slaughterhouse—The liquid in the bath was crimson—In the reflection of the room—Naked and trembling—Nothing wrong with the water—Nothing wrong with the mirror—Nothing wrong with the bath.

"Why waste money on a whore?"

Made it five times under the shower that day—Sharp and clear like after rain—In a booth reading a paper her face like yellow ivory in the sunlight—Under the table—Pushing in a small way to keep up the habit—Blue alcohol flame—Black spoon—Junk hooks falling.

One cold day—I placed her myself in her coffin—Our family tomb.

When the fingers go the brain will go—The dogs bark knives—There is nothing to save—Let us lynch the last hope—The graveyard of elephants—A game too dull for children.

I recalled standing there two or three decades ago with three prostitutes—I took them all to my place—They were drunk and on pills—Then one of the prostitutes went to the bathroom where she fell and banged her head against the edge of the toilet and bled all over the floor.
Heckler Jeckler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dipshit on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:46 am

That was interesting to say the least.
Dipshit
Playground Bully

View user profile http://parselmouthparlour.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Twosnakes on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 am

WAY cool Cheryl!
Twosnakes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dipshit on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:10 am

Twosnakes wrote:WAY cool Cheryl!

Sam? Are you accusing HJ of Being Cheryl's sock?
Dipshit
Playground Bully

View user profile http://parselmouthparlour.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Twosnakes on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 am

Queen Mud wrote:
Twosnakes wrote:WAY cool Cheryl!

Sam? Are you accusing HJ of Being Cheryl's sock?

I don't care what he uses.. i do NOT want to know about it! Bwahahaha!!

No just chalk it up to me having old timers' disease..
Twosnakes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top